1. Doctors have found that a robot is better than a human surgeon(外科医生)at carrying out this difficult operation—even when it is controlled thousands of miles away. Unlike humans, robotic “arms” do not shake when they target a small piece of tissue(组织)or organ. In remote surgery such as the removal of kidney stones, the robotic arm inserts a long special needle into the patient’s body and X-rays guide it to the kidney.
What does “target” mean in the paragraph?
A. aim at B. cure
C. meet with
D. get close to
2. Throughout the history of the arts, the nature of creativity has remained constant to artists. No matter what objects they select, artists are to bring forth new forces and forms that cause change-to find poetry where no one has ever seen or experienced it before.
The underlined word “poetry” most probably means ______.
A. an object for artistic creation
B. a collection of poems
C. an unusual quality D. a natural scene
3. Mothers give their male baby bears the boot once the youngsters are 2 years old. With living areas growing, the young bears keep finding smaller and smaller areas in which they can set up their own land.
The underlined phrase “give their male baby bears the boot”means“________”.
A. make them wear the boots
B. find new homes for them
C. drove them away from home
D. keep them in safe places
4. In a victory of green business that is certain to appeal to environmentally-aware music-lovers, a design student is to receive financial support to produce eco-friendly tents made of cardboard that can be recycled after the bands and the crowds have gone home.
“Eco-friendly tents” in the paragraph refer to tents _______.
A. economically desirable
B. favorable to the environment
C. for holding music performances
D. designed for disaster relief
5. Security marking your bike can act a deterrent to a thief. It can also help the police find your bicycle. It should be clearly written and include your postcode and your house or flat number. This will provide a simple way to identify your bicycle.
The underlined phrase “act as a deterrent to a thief” means ______.
A. help you recognize your bike
B. help the police find your bicycle
C. stop someone stealing your bicycle
D. stop you worrying about your bike
6. President Clinton arrived in Korea directly after leaving Japan and had not changed his culture gears. His failure to follow Korean customs gave the impression that Korea was not as important to him as Japan.
The word “gears” in the paragraph is closest in meaning to .
A. action plans
B. naming customs
C. travel maps
D. thinking patterns
7. Lacking a cure for AIDS, society must offer education, not only by public pronouncement but in classrooms. Those with AIDS or those at high risk of AIDS suffer discrimination; they are feared by some people who find living itself unsafe, while others make themselves pretend to be “brave”, which could be dangerous to their lives. AIDS has afflicted a society already short on humanism, open-handedness and optimism. Attempts to strike it out with the deadly disease are not abetted(教唆)by pre-existing social ills. Such concerns made me offer the first university level undergraduate AIDS course, with its two aims：
The underlined word“afflicted”means“________________”.
B. caused suffering to
C. drew attention from
D. reached a conclusion on
8. Now, it is time to realize that animals have the same right to life as we do and that there is nothing fair or right about a person with a gun shooting the harmless and beautiful creatures. The gunners like to describe what they do as character-building, but we know that to wound an animal and watch it go through the agony of dying can make nobody happy. If, as they would have you believe, gun-carrying and killing improve human-character, then perhaps we should encourage war.
The underlined word “agony” in the paragraph probably means______________.
A. form B. condition
C. pain D. sadness
9. Hungry for Change is part of a growing movement of people who want to stop famine throughout the world . They want to make certain that people in famine areas can protect themselves from the effects of future droughts . They also want to make certain that enough help is quickly available for emergencies in all parts of the world .
The underlined word “famine” probably means .
A.the bad harvest of grain
B.very serious lack of food
C.the place covered with water
D.a long period of dry weather
10. Rainforests like the Amazon are important for mopping up CO2 from the atmosphere and helping to slow global warming . Currently the trees in the Amazon take in around 500 million tonnes of CO2 each year; equal to the total amount of CO2 giving off in the UK each year.
The underlined phrase “mopping up” in the second paragraph means .
1.A 2.C 3.C 4.B 5.C
6.D 7.B 8.C 9.B 10.B